Codes & Standards
As an OEM control panel builder, Westbury serves markets overseas, including the US, and as such, needs to meet the requirements of American codes and standards, to accommodate the differences in power systems, voltages, and frequencies.
National Electrical Code (NEC)
In the US, the NEC’s primary function is to prevent fires. Subsequently, electrical codes mainly focus on the installation of equipment in a facility and are relied upon by the contractor. However, they also have an impact on all areas of producing industrial machines, from specification, design, building, through to operation. To address this, Westbury works to the NEC’s UL508A: Industrial Control Panels code.
Compliance and Standards
By complying with this standard, Westbury helps to ensure that equipment is properly designed, installed and used in a safe manner.† The following are examples of how UL508A standards have an impact on control panel design and manufacture:
- Calculate short circuit current rating (SCCR) for entire control panel. The calculated rating is to be shown on a label located within that control panel
- Proper use and location of E-Stop buttons with yellow legend plates
- Provide label information indicating system voltage and motor full-load amps
- Include “As-Built” drawing set inside the control panel when it is shipped
- Arrange components in the control panel following the minimum air-space requirements determined by spacing UL used to test and list individual component
- When requested, use markings to indicate proper torque ratings on mechanical or electrical connections as specified by the component manufacturer
- Where specified, provide labels indicating proper size and type of fuses to be used for maintenance
- Grounding and bonding methods
- Wiring sizes and colour schemes
† Westbury utilise third-parties with UL accreditation to certify its works.
We look forward to your enquiry – any further details about our Panel Manufacture service, including how we work to the NEC’s UL508A: Industrial Control Panels code please contact us.